As mentioned briefly in my last post, I’m embarking on my own personal songwriting challenge. I’ll be writing, recording and uploading one song each and every week for the whole of 2019.
These songs are going to be in various stages of completion as first drafts but they will all be finished songs ready to either remain as is or, be revised and tweaked at a later date.
I’m doing the Song A Week challenge for a number of reasons…
- It gives me a formalised songwriting framework and deadlines to adhere to
- It gives me an opportunity to fine tune my home recording/music production skills
- It will be the ultimate test of my songwriting process and my overall workflow
- By the end of 2019 I’ll have 52 new songs in my aural portfolio to do what I want with
- If it’s good enough for a songwriter such as Jonathan Coulton then it’s good enough for me
Every Monday I’ll be putting up the song which I had written for that previous week included with lyrics and (maybe) a video.
At the time of writing this I’ve almost finished the first song in the series. Just by committing to this challenge my creative juices are already flowing.
I’m really excited as to where this challenge can take me and my songwriting.
At this stage, I’ll still be participating but whether I fully complete them or not like I have in previous years will depend on whether my participation in FAWM and 50/90 is getting in the way of Song A Week.
I’m really looking forward to showing you what I come up with. Now, to get back in the studio and finish this song off.