All I can say is thank goodness for free weekends.
In my last 50/90 Song Challenge update I wrote that I was a bit concerned that I was falling behind the pace however, on the weekend I made up for some of the loss by uploading five more songs which takes my total now to 16 songs.
Five songs in a weekend… I was a SongMachine. My goal is that by next Tuesdays update I’ll have passed the 20 song mark.
As today is August 1st, the 50/90 Song Challenge has now moved into its second month and this is a good opportunity for me to reflect on my progress in the first month and see if I can gain any insights from this.
So… After some reflection, here are ten things that I’ve learnt about myself and my songwriting process so far from doing the challenge.
- Inspiration can come from the strangest places
- My inner critic is harder to silence than I anticipated
- There are many ways to record songwriting ideas on the road
- WiFi in coffee shops are your best friend
- Once you’re in “The Zone” stay there as long as you can BUT…
- Keep maintaining a balance between songwriting and the real world
- Don’t get obsessed by the comments you receive (or don’t receive)
- So called mistakes can become happy accidents you can use later
- Be prepared to write shit… Embrace it
- Being organised and comfortable in your songwriting space is the key
I must say, the weekend had been an intense period of creativity but it has given me a tiny glimpse of the kind of life I want to be living. I would love nothing more than to be sitting in my studio writing music/songs. All I’ve got to do is work out the ways in which this can be done.
Some food for thought for future blog posts.
The great thing about doing these types of song challenges is that even though the challenge is only a third of the way through, I can already feel how I’m changing as a songwriter and these changes are giving me fresh new perceptions into my chosen vocation.
More food for thought for future blog posts
I suppose my most import lesson that I’ve learnt so far is that I can read all of the books and collect all the articles and take all of the courses regarding the craft of writing songs but there’s no substitute to just doing it and learning as you go and that’s what the 50/90 Song Challenge give me… An opportunity to just write songs and I’m loving it.
If you want to check out what I’ve done so far just head on over to my 50/90 Song Challenge page and if there’s a song idea you’d like me to tackle for the challenge just let me know and I’ll see what I can do for you.